The older I get, the more I realize that it’s SO important that we don’t take ourselves too seriously! With the truest intentions of bringing you joy and a massively cheesy smile to your face, I’d like to share what makes me giggle and find release as a teacher, student, and human being. Here’s my list of the top 10 funny things that only happen to people who do yoga:
1. You think it’s socially acceptable to pass off your yoga leggings as work pants so that you can immediately hit the yoga studio the second the clock hits 5 p.m.
3. You’re a little too comfortable when a “stranger” comes up behind you to grab your hips or touch your sweaty back — it’s all in the name of adjustment!
4. You abruptly wake up from a deep sleep because of a loud noise only to realize it’s savasana and you’ve been snoring … !
5. From shoes to clothing, comfort is first priority on your fashion list. My favorite comfy shoes are Sanuk slip-on Sidewalk Surfers®!
6. Your plans revolve around your favorite yoga teacher’s classes: “Could we do dinner at 8? I have an appointment at 6 I can’t miss …”
7. You automatically assume that when someone asks you to “get a drink,” it’s going to be a green juice.
8. You have a fancy event to attend and realize that your entire closet is filled with brightly colored stretchy pants (board shorts for all my male yogis). Time to invest in something that’s not Dri-FIT!
9. You have at least a few kitchen cabinets filled with blocks, wheels, straps, mats, foam rollers, or meditation cushions because you’ve run out of storage room elsewhere.
10. You attend your best friend’s dinner party fully suited up in spandex, just in case a random AcroYoga session breaks out in the yard.
Author: Caley Alyssa is a internationally renowned Los Angeles–based yoga teacher and the founder of Caley Yoga. She credits yoga with helping her define and accomplish her dreams, and she’s passionate about helping others manifest their own dreams as well—both through the classes she teaches and the relationships she forms off the mat.